Subject Oriented: Brokeback Mountain<br><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);font-size:85%;"><i>spoiler alert</i></span>
Google
 
Web subjectoriented.blogspot.com





Thursday, December 29, 2005

Brokeback Mountain
spoiler alert

The audience was larger than expected and far better behaved than I first anticipated, given how noisy they were before the feature started.

Their reaction to the lead characters' first sexual encounter was... I don't know... unexpected. They laughed. The scene was a bit awkward, to be sure, but not funny. I guess watching two men fuck makes the straights a bit nervous.

One lady, two rows in front of me, got up and left at that point. Let's see... She bought a ticket to an R-rated film about two "gay cowboys", and she's shocked when they have sex? Lady, you should have spent the $8.50 and bought a fucking clue.

Equally interesting was their reaction to the scene where Alma, played by Michelle Williams, discovers that her husband Ennis, played by Heath Ledger, is having an affair. Of course, the audience empathized with her; I must admit that, to some extent, I did too. But their reaction seemed... inordinate. If he'd been having an affair with another woman instead of a man, would they have reacted at all? I doubt it.

Their reaction to the ending was... well, non-existant. I, on the other hand, was a wreck. When Ennis turned over the postcard he'd sent Jack, and I saw the word "DECEASED" stamped in red, it wrenched my heart out. Then, when Ennis is on the phone talking to Jack's wife, she explains the tragic accident that took his life, apparently a tire exploded, and the scene cuts to three men beating Jack with a tire iron...

Jack Twist wasn't a very good husband. He was unfaithful. Okay... Shit happens.

If a man divorces his wife because he's in love with another women, so what... a little scandle, child support, some alimony and it all blows over.

If a man divorces his wife because he's in love with another man, well... then three of his father-in-law's best friends come along and beat him to death with a tire iron.

I know it's just a movie, and I know I shouldn't get wound around the axle, but shit like this really does happen, and I'm sick and tired of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home